So this one is obviously also a bit on the late side, but hey, I can't leave out the best day of field study so far. This was pretty much one of the most fantastic days that I've had since coming to Israel! So here's the impression report:
Today was sort of like a checklist of a whole bunch of the places in Israel that I've always wanted to see. I have heard so many stories about the incredible structure of Masada that I have been waiting rather impatiently to visit it. Herod continues to astound me, every time we run into him somewhere. It blows my mind to think about what it must have taken to build a fortress like Masada. Standing on the northern end in his palace, I was really impressed by the opulence of the columns and frescos, not to mention the view.
Another part of Masada that really interested me was hearing the stories and the archaeological finds surrounding them. I have certainly heard the story of the mass suicide at Masada. However, I had never heard that archaeology and what we know of the players in history seriously challenge that idea. It was fascinating to consider that Josephus might have simply made it up to show the Romans that his people were valient. All things considered, it does not make sense that the Romans would break through the wall and decide to wait the night. Neither does Josephus' explanation make sense of all the bones being found on the northern point within an inner wall. Nor can it explain how Jews would commit suicide, something completely dishonorable for them. For me, it was really interesting to consider all the different angles and weigh the value of the symbol of nationalism at Masada against the historical probability created by the evidence.
From Masada, heading down to the Dead Sea was another item on my list. Getting to float in the salt water is a pretty unique and rather awesome experience. It was so strange to be able to lay perfectly still and be completely supported by the water.
At the springs of En-Gedi I felt like I got such a good picture of the importance of water. After spending a day in the barren wilderness, it was so refreshing to see green and waterfalls. Swimming in them was pretty cool too. I can only imagine how someone like David might feel about En-Gedi after spending so much time on the run in the wilderness. It is no surprise then that he uses water as an image of God's provision.
Last, Qumran has definitely been on my list of places to visit for quite some time. During college I have studied the scrolls found at Qumran as well as their community. I remember having to write a paper on the teacher of righteousness and what might have been going on with the idea of the sons of light and darkness. Having spent time studying both the site and community as well as the importance of their manuscripts, it was really cool for me to actually get to see the place. My imagination can only do so much. I think it would be fair to say this was my favorite day of field study so far.
Today was sort of like a checklist of a whole bunch of the places in Israel that I've always wanted to see. I have heard so many stories about the incredible structure of Masada that I have been waiting rather impatiently to visit it. Herod continues to astound me, every time we run into him somewhere. It blows my mind to think about what it must have taken to build a fortress like Masada. Standing on the northern end in his palace, I was really impressed by the opulence of the columns and frescos, not to mention the view.
Another part of Masada that really interested me was hearing the stories and the archaeological finds surrounding them. I have certainly heard the story of the mass suicide at Masada. However, I had never heard that archaeology and what we know of the players in history seriously challenge that idea. It was fascinating to consider that Josephus might have simply made it up to show the Romans that his people were valient. All things considered, it does not make sense that the Romans would break through the wall and decide to wait the night. Neither does Josephus' explanation make sense of all the bones being found on the northern point within an inner wall. Nor can it explain how Jews would commit suicide, something completely dishonorable for them. For me, it was really interesting to consider all the different angles and weigh the value of the symbol of nationalism at Masada against the historical probability created by the evidence.
From Masada, heading down to the Dead Sea was another item on my list. Getting to float in the salt water is a pretty unique and rather awesome experience. It was so strange to be able to lay perfectly still and be completely supported by the water.
At the springs of En-Gedi I felt like I got such a good picture of the importance of water. After spending a day in the barren wilderness, it was so refreshing to see green and waterfalls. Swimming in them was pretty cool too. I can only imagine how someone like David might feel about En-Gedi after spending so much time on the run in the wilderness. It is no surprise then that he uses water as an image of God's provision.
Last, Qumran has definitely been on my list of places to visit for quite some time. During college I have studied the scrolls found at Qumran as well as their community. I remember having to write a paper on the teacher of righteousness and what might have been going on with the idea of the sons of light and darkness. Having spent time studying both the site and community as well as the importance of their manuscripts, it was really cool for me to actually get to see the place. My imagination can only do so much. I think it would be fair to say this was my favorite day of field study so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment